Wednesday 8 August 2012

(First Post) Why not so proud?

So last week was Pride in Cork City.

  It was one of the best weekends that I've spent with some amazing friends. I was proud of myself and more so the community I'm part of. We all constantly are there for support and a shoulder to cry on if needed. We all have troubles and we all need to stick together as a community.
  But this community I keep talking about isn't as supportive as my circle of friends. I don't mean to complain or rant but here we are. I expect that when I as a person go out of my house dressed how I'm comfortable  and being myself that I'd be supported. And I'm not saying I wasn't; my mother,brother and sister all came out to the parade to show that they they love and are proud of me. Many people stopped me and said I looked amazing.
  Okay wait if you're reading this and don't know me you are probably thinking; What are ya on about? Well I like going out as/being a women sometimes; not a drag queen, but i do perform, wouldn't call myself a transsexual but would call myself trans. Its complicated I know but I don't need you to understand just not judge.
  The reason I keep bringing up support, understanding, judging and all these similar themes is that one person who doesn't show you these can knock you more off course.All it takes is one negative incident. And this did happen to me. At the club the night of the pride parade a man in the club poured a pint down the back of my dress-on purpose. I know it wasn't an accident because they ran off and the friends who were with me saw him do it.
  I left the club;distraught.
  Went over to another venue where I cried to a friend. She must have superpowers because she calmed me. Every person I told was disgusted this has happened as I was. Why would you belittle a minority within a minority. It makes people think its okay if we 'do it to ourselves'. And to make it worse I found out another friend had gotten similar if not worse happen to her the same night; pint poured over her and spat at her.
IN A GAY CLUB!!!!
  Somewhere where we go and think we are in a safe environment and there are members of our own community who are as ignorant and selfish than the homophobes we are trying to show we are better than when we have pride.
  And I'm aware that it is only a few people within the community who are like this. But a few is a few too many.

3 comments:

  1. You are the most amazing person I know and always be proud of who you are because I am x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironic that gay people are some of the most intolerant and judgemental people in the world. Hope you're ok! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ridiculous! Hope you're ok x

    ReplyDelete